Préfecture de Police

backWhat to do if you are a victim of crime

Modifié le 31/03/2014

If you are the victim of an attack or a burglary etc., you can file a complaint. But did you know that an online pre-complaint service is now also available? In what cases can it be used? How does it work? What should you do? Let's look at the complaint filing procedure.


How to file a complaint

Porter plainte

To file a complaint, if you are a victim of a crime, or to make a statement about a situation that is causing you harm, you can go to any of the security department reception points in the Paris urban area.

Before beginning the process, make sure you have all your papers or identity documents with you. Whether you have been the victim of an attack or a break-in, a police officer will collect all the information from you that you are able to give.

Victim of an attack

In the event of an attack, a telephone alert will be passed to the operational coordination office in the Parisian district, or the inner suburb department, so that all the personnel present in this area are immediately aware of the description of the suspect or suspects. An investigation involving the questioning of witnesses and comparison to similar events will be carried out at the same time.

Victim of burglary

In the event of a break-in, the  police officer who receives you will immediately ensure that information is collected on site. As far as possible, keep the premises in the condition you found them, so that any traces that will help to identify the person or people responsible can be recorded, using the automated fingerprint database. A general alert will be sent to the different police operational units so that the local patrols and rounds are aware of the incident, while the personnel in charge of the investigation will carry out a neighbourhood inquiry to collect as much information as possible to carry the investigation forward.

If it is a significant incident, a specialist section of the criminal police will be in charge of the investigation.

In all cases, you will be kept informed of the outcome of your complaint, by telephone, mail or via the local officers.

Receiving support

As a victim, you can receive support for your situation and will be put in contact, if you wish, with an approved association which will provide you, where appropriate, with legal assistance or psychological support. A form containing the contact details of victim support services or associations will be given to you upon request, when you file your complaint. In the same way, for solely material losses, when you make your complaint you can specify the amount of the loss, provide the necessary proof and make a statement regarding your demand for restitution or compensation, which may be used in a civil case.

24 hour support

If you need help, assistance or intervention, you can call the operators at the central Parisian police station or the inner suburbs department 24 hours a day.

In an emergency, dial 17 for the emergency police service.

If you only have a mobile telephone and you cannot the number 17 does not work on it, dial 112.